Record-breaking sales performance in 2023 for Kia in Europe

Published | 18/01/2024


  • Kia sold 572,297 units in Europe, marking a 5.4% increase versus 2022
  • New annual global sales record reached with 3.1 million units
  • Kia Charge reaches new heights with 95,000 global registrations


January 18, 2024 – Kia had its best year sales performance ever in Europe in 2023 with 572,297 units sold, according to new data released today by the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA)*. This makes for a 5.4% sales increase compared to the previous year, while Kia’s market share in Europe stayed strong at 4.5%.


Kia’s sales boosted by growing demand for its electrified vehicles
Electrified vehicles, which include hybrids and plug-in hybrids as well as battery-electric vehicles, accounted for 217,145 units, representing a 9% increase over the previous year and amounting for 37.9% of total sales in 2023. This makes for record number which is expected to increase even more as the Kia EV9 continues its rollout all over Europe.


The Kia Sportage proved the brand’s best-selling model line overall across Europe, with registrations totalling 165,354. The Ceed family sold 87,246 units and the Niro ranked third with 73,582 units sold.


In addition, pure EV sales for the year rose by 22.7%, with 80,999 units sold. The all-new Kia Niro EV sold 40,074 units, while the multi-award-winning Kia EV6 followed with 36,195 units. The Kia EV9 sold, despite its late start of sales, 2,843 units and the e-Soul 1,887 units.


The European factory in Zilina (Slovakia) produced more vehicles than ever

Last year, more than 350,000 vehicles rolled off the production plant in Zilina (Slovakia). Compared to 2022, this number represents an increase of 12% and marks the successful presence and impact of the Kia brand in Europe. The largest part of cars produced in 2023 was the fifth generation of the Sportage model, up to 60% of the total. The remaining 40% were represented by various body versions of the Ceed model.


Kia Slovakia also produced more than 507,000 engines in its production shops in 2023, including the jubilee 7 millionth power unit. This represents a year-on-year increase in engine production of more than 10%.


Kia Charge furthers the company’s ambitions as electric mobility brand.

With Kia Charge, Kia opens new opportunities in charging electrified vehicles with green energy, ensuring a full environmentally friendly process. Kia Charge reached new heights with more than 95,000 registrations by the end of 2023, an increase of 54% compared to the previous year. The coverage of charging points grew by 63% (now more than 643,000) compared to 2022. To this end, Kia’s partner and operator IONITY recently announced that their network now comprises about 600 charging parks and more than 3,300 HPC (High Power Charging) charging points in 24 European countries.


Europe contributes significantly to new global sales record
2023 saw Kia achieving new sales records on a global scale as well. The manufacturer closed out the year with 3.1 million units sold in total. Of these, Kia Europe contributed 18.5%, underlining its strong trajectory in Europe. In total, global sales saw a 6.3% increase compared with last year. In 2024, Kia is targeting global sales of 3.2 million units. By region, the brand expects to sell 530,000 units in Korea and 2,663,000 vehicles overseas.


Movement that inspires

Kia plans to enhance customer value and profitability while further solidifying its leadership position in the global EV market this year by introducing new EV models, strengthening the appeal of its products with improved connectivity technology, and preparing its PBV business. Through such efforts, the company will continue its growth as well as achieve its goal of becoming a sustainable mobility solutions provider.


Press Contacts